Friday, June 16, 2006

More Flagship Lounge success

I was trying to remember the last time I missed a flight, whether just by arriving too late at the airport or having a connecting flight arrive too late. I couldn't remember one at all. And of all the flights I've done over the years, if I had to miss one then this was the one to do it with. My schedule had enough slack in it to cope with the delay, and actually it was quite nice to sleep in a hotel that night rather than on an aircraft.

Came back the next morning to check-in. I hadn't bothered with breakfast at the hotel, as I planned to have some in the Flagship Lounge prior to departure. Then I realised with horror that technically I wouldn't have access, since my arriving international flight was on the previous day (stupid rule, but there you go). My Qantas Club membership would get me into the Admirals Club, but they didn't serve breakfast there. The lounge dragons at LAX have a reputation for being strict with the rules, and for denying access if there was any way to do so. I went in and told them my story, putting my in-bound First Class boarding pass and my Executive Platinum frequent flyer card on the desk as I did so. She said she remembered that the London flight was badly delayed and she was apologetic. I took a laid-back "well, these things happen" approach, and I think she was so impressed that I didn't rant and rave about the airline that she thanked me for my attitude and handed me a swipe card for the Flagship Lounge.

Due to the stringent requirements to get into the Flagship Lounge, it was fairly empty at that time of the morning, but I'm told that in the evenings when the Qantas flights are departing it can get really crowded.

So I made it into Washington - 12 hours or so later than expected, but otherwise no worse for wear.

1 Comments:

Blogger Simon Dugard said...

Yay! It's been a fun read, but I'm glad to hear you finally arrived.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home