Friday, June 16, 2006

All the way to the pointy end

Arrived at Heathrow Terminal 3 and checked in. Went through the "Fast Track" security, but as they were only using one x-ray machine it still took a while. The departure area was really crowded. Seemed to be largely a holiday crowd rather than a business one. If there's one place you really need lounge access, LHR T3 is it.

Fought my way through the crowd and finally made it to the American Airlines Flagship Lounge (their First Class lounge). Registered with the desk and was about to go into the lounge when I thought I may as well try for an upgrade. When I qualified for Executive Platinum I was given a bunch of systemwide upgrades. I had planned to use one on the London-Los Angeles flight to upgrade from Business to First, but for some reason if the tickets are issued by Cathay Pacific then the American Airlines system won't process the upgrade. I didn't even know whether it was possible to do it at the airport, but I figured I would never know unless I tried. Anyway, about 20 minutes later I was handed my new boarding pass for seat 4A. Woohoo!

I felt a little sorry for the person at the desk dealing with my upgrade. Apparently it was her first day back at work in three months, and all the procedures had changed in the intervening time.

Had a look in the lounge, but found it to be small, lacking in food, and with a poor drinks selection. No Champagne!

I had heard good things about the Cathay Pacific lounge, so I left the Flagship Lounge to find it. On my way out the people on the desk were still chatting about my upgrade. I think I severely stressed the poor woman. Finally arrived at the Cathay Pacific lounge and was warmly greeted at the desk. I was informed that I would need to keep an eye on the departures board since they don't call American Airlines flights in that lounge. Went into the First Class side, and found it empty. There was a variety of dim sum on offer, and a menu from which noodles could be ordered (free). There was also a cheese board and other snacks. The drinks on offer included amongst other things a Champagne (non-vintage Moet), a Premier Cru Chablis, a Grand Cru Classe Bordeaux, and two types of XO Cognac. What a contrast from the AA lounge!

As boarding time approached I went back to the Flagship Lounge (I was still the only person in the Cathay Pacific First Class lounge). Now as well as being small and poorly stocked it was also crowded. Seems like not many people realise they can use the Cathay lounge as well as the American one.

They were using the second door of the aircraft for boarding, so I had the unusual pleasure of turning left on entry to the aircraft to get to my seat. Up at the pointy end at last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home