Friday, June 16, 2006

Make mine an orange juice

So I'm sitting in the British Airways lounge at Dubai airport. There is no separate First lounge, but I'll cope with sitting amongst the less privileged. Anyway, I'm reading a copy of the "Gulf News" newspaper, while sipping on a Jack Daniels and Coke.

Actually, it's Pepsi. Don't know why there isn't Coke, but since it's mixed I guess it doesn't matter. And yes, it has an old-fashioned detaching ring-pull, and interestingly it has only English on the can although it states that it was "filled" in the United Arab Emirates - all of the other soft drinks in the fridge have both English and Arabic script on them.

Where was I? Oh yes, the newspaper. I'm sitting here with the aforementioned beverage and I've just read about a man in Fujairah (no idea where that is, but the byline said Abu Dhabi) who was sentenced to 80 lashes for "consuming alcohol". Think I might put the JD down and go back to Orange Juice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home